Thursday, February 25, 2010

Mixed assortment: More theater, missed appointments and a roast.

I went to the preview of "Footlight Frenzy" at Renton Civic Theater last week. A capable (if maybe a bit too manic) backstage farce in the mold of "Noises Off." My buddy Alan Wilkie directed, and friend-since-college-days Eric Hartley did a nice work, but the hands-down best part of the show was David Roby as the meek stage manager of the show-within-the-show. He did some of the most amazing physical comedy I've seen in a long time. David was in "The Producers" last fall and was the ASM for "1776" at SMT a couple years back. Excellent stuff, Mr. Roby.

Over the weekend I went down to Tacoma Little Theatre and saw "Six Dance Lessons in Six Weeks." Nicely directed by Frank Kohel, and performed by Sharry O'Hare and Micheal O'Hara. All three are good friends and the script was clever. After the matinee I headed over to Mom's for quick bite and came back to the theater for a roast/tribute to Sharry. Funny, funny stuff (and in all honesty some great moving moments too) with a lot of Seattle/Tacoma-area theater folks there.

I worked with Sharry in the musical "Two by Two" back in 2000 at RCT, and first worked with Micheal many years ago at the Performance Circle in Gig Harbor while doing "Chicago."

Was supposed to meet Frank twice over the past week for lunch. He missed this first time because he was sick, I missed the most recent time because I simply forgot. We're attempting to meet for dinner Thursday. Fingers-crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment