Friday, February 12, 2010

"Phone rings, door chimes..."


I'm not currently doing a show (what??), so it's time to go see friends in their shows. Of course I had to go to "Company" at Seattle Musical Theatre. I know practically the entire cast and was disappointed last fall when I realized that because of my commitment to "Trial" that I couldn't even audition.

Full disclosure. I've worked (a lot) for SMT. I really enjoy the folks there, so this "review" will have a bias.

In a word, brilliant. SMT has mounted an excellent production of the 1970 Stephen Sondheim/George Furth meditation on marriage and coupling.

Musical director Paul Linnes leads an amazing group of musicians in bringing the great score to life (I especially love "Sorry-Grateful" and "Side by Side"). Great work from friends Danielle Barnum, Bill Hamer, Ben Derby, Krista Erickson and Julia Beers.

Dawn Brazel simply tore it up as Joanne (loved her "Ladies Who Lunch"), Kat Schroeder brought great controlled nervousness to "Getting Married Today" and Julie Drummond was hilarious in the role of Jenny. I also enjoyed Allison Standley as feisty Marta (she did great things with "Another Hundred People"). And the girl can rock a pair of hot pants (all the costumes in the show were fabulous in their "Groovy '70s" way).

And the center of the show, Bobby, was performed with understated charisma by Ryan Demerick. He sang the role well (especially the great "Being Alive"), but it was when he was silent, watching everyone else, that his Bobby spoke volumes.

Bravo director Vicki Webb and Seattle Musical Theatre. This show deserves to be a big fat hit.

1 comment:

  1. Great review, Doug! I got to see it today. I especially loved "Getting Married Today" and "Here's to the Ladies Who Lunch." Is it wrong that I loved Joanne more because I knew how completely unlike Dawn the character is?

    ReplyDelete